Thursday, June 18, 2009

What happens when you fall off the piano bench-this is long

Note the big knot on his forehead...and that doesn't capture the matching knot on his knee. This is what happens when you fall off the piano bench head first onto the tile floor. Poor little baby. He appears to be ok. But I really need to vent about tonight.

I HATE when Keenan hurts himself obviously. However, I hate it even more when his dad is around and he hurts himself. His dad's immediate reaction every time Keenan falls and bangs himself up after he's been asked to stop doing something (like standing on the piano bench instead of sitting on his bottom or knees like he was told) is to yell at Keenan. He just starts bawling him out. It lasts about 3 seconds because you better believe I totally jump his shit when he starts doing it and then I just whisk Keenan out of the room. It totally pisses me off! Again tonight I had to tell him not to yell at him when he's hurt and then he gets pissed and starts mouthing off and has no patience for anything (like when my chihuahua jumped on the table to steal a bite of the chicken left on Keenan's plate in the midst of all of this). I had to step in right as he was going for him because I think he would have thrown him off the table in a way that was likely to cause injury. This immediate reaction is why I NEVER TRUST HIM ALONE WITH KEENAN! This is why he visits mainly in my home. I've allowed him to take him with him on errands maybe 3 times in all of Keenan's 2.5 years.

To make matters worse, my insurance changed in January from Kaiser (which I know has their issues) to a lovely little plan called Health Plan of San Joaquin. Being a county employee our insurance can change year to year based on who offers the lowest cost option. Our insurance is 100% paid by the employer if we choose the lowest cost option. Choosing one of the other 3 plans available means paying out of pocket for the difference in cost. I'm 1) a single parent on one income, 2) cheap, 3) not really a frequenter of any type of medical services because we're both (thankfully) healthy. I usually don't care what insurance I have as long as I'm covered. So I switch. So far I've discovered that instead of getting a 3 month supply of birth control pills at a time they only allow one month at a time which means a 10 co-pay for every month of pills. Assholes. Not a dire thing though I'll admit. My real issue is that tonight, when I actually needed them because that bump was REALLY big and he carried on much longer than he usually does when he knocks his noggin, they had one failure after another. The phone line for the advice nurse had a recorded message that said the line was no longer available and to call the customer service center. I do so using both the local and 800 number and their hours are 8-5 M-F. NOT HELPFUL! To top it off..I can't remember which urgent care I'm supposed to use. I call Keenan's doctor, get the service, and they can't tell me which one to go to and, furthermore, their ****ing on-call doctor has yet to return my call and that was 2.5 hours ago that I called them. So I decided to try the website and click the link that says advice nurse and it has the same non-operating number. I try to download the provider directory and the link doesn't work. ARRGGHHH! I decide to just take him to urgent care as a precaution because at this point he's looking like he might throw up and is still just sitting in my lap not doing much.

Here's reinforcement for why I divorced Keenan's dad. BECAUSE HE'S OBLIVIOUS AND NOT HELPFUL!! I make the decision to go to urgent care and he insists on using his car merely because he's blocking my car in the garage. Keenan's bag, my purse, etc. are all in my car. I say fine just to get out of here, grab my stuff and bring it in the house. I set it down right next to Keenan's blankie (a must have, particularly in desperate times) and his sippy cup. I grab the motrin and shove it in my purse and pick up Keenan to head out the door. His dad grabs his blankie and sippy cup and starts walking out in front of me. What's missing? Oh yeah, my purse and Keenan's bag that I'm apparently supposed to carry along with Keenan. Are you kidding me? I glare at him in disbelief and he doesn't get it. So at this point I have Keenan in one arm, my phone in that hand, my purse over the other arm and his backpack in the other hand and that shit turns and sees me with all this stuff and says "Oh, I'll get the door, you go on ahead". !!!!! This of course leaves me to wrangle the purse, backpack, Keenan and the phone out to the truck where I also have to figure out how to open the door with either my teeth or my toes since that's all I have left. SOO ANNOYING!!

We get going in his car and I guessed right regarding which urgent care to go to thankfully. But when I go in and ask them if they accept my insurance they say they haven't accepted that for about 4 months. I of course start flipping a lid because it's only been since January since I've had this new insurance. Some other guy comes around the corner and says, do you have this insurance through your job? Um, well, duh! Guess what? My new painfully inadequate insurance is apparently the Medi-Cal plan for the neighboring county. WTF??!! They accept it if you're employed but apparently not if you're on it through Medi-Cal. Keenan ultimately checks out ok though he has a very large goosebump on his forehead as you can see. I'm ripping them a new one tomorrow and switching back as soon as we can during open enrollment. Now I have to go try to wake up my son to make sure he can be woken up before I "sleep" tonight which I know my neurotic self won't do because I'll be totally checking him all night a la Terms of Endearment style!

No comments:

Post a Comment