Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why I love Furlough Fridays!

Yesterday was my first of 13 mandatory furlough days imposed upon me by my employer. At first mention of furloughs I panicked and threw a fit. That's a 5% paycut and we all know in this economic time the last thing any of us needs is less friggin money! However, now that they're here I'm learning to accept and embrace the furlough fridays. Here's what I did:

Wake up....realize I don't have to be at work so sleep for another 20 minutes.

Wake up for real and realize that I don't have to be at work so wash face, pull hair up, brush teeth and throw on some clothes. Yeah...you read right...no am shower...dunh dunh dunh!!

Rouse little monkey out of bed because, by g*d, this is MY furlough friday and his ass is still going to daycare!

Throw monkey and dog into car and drop monkey at daycare. Take incredibly happy and grateful dog to the agility field. She SOOO misses her agility. Get yucky and sweaty because it's already hot but I don't care...I didn't even shower yet.

Clean out entire car...I mean clean...I mean glove box, toy bin, under the seats, between the seats clean. Realize that the car is still disgusting and go to car wash. Vacuum the hell out of the car. It takes 5 vacuum cycles...thankfully vacuuming is now free. Waste token on stupid scent machine that didn't work. Realize car is presentable but still only average in comparison to most car owners. Get hotter and sweatier but still doesn't matter. :)

Go through every single piece of paper on my desk (if you know me then you know that's a small forest worth of paper) and throw away, put in shred box, and file what can be filed. Neatly stack stuff that can't....come on, I know my limitations. Desk clutter is just who I am.

Clean out every single bathroom drawer and cabinet in my bathroom...realize half the shit in there expired in 07 or earlier and think to myself "why the hell did I bother moving this from the old house to here...16 months ago". Throw away a ton of shit and stand in awe of all the space I have in my bathroom for more stuff!

Smell myself and realize that I can't follow through with the no shower thing. Succumb and take the best damn shower ever because 1) I didn't have to worry about where K was, 2) K wasn't in the shower with me (for a 2 year old he sure hogs the hot water), 3) I stayed in as long as I wanted, 4) I had plenty of room to shave my legs and 5) did I mention it was a K free shower? Mine, mine and all mine???!!

Do laundry...like folded and put in drawers and hung up even. Laundry usually sits draped over the back of the kitchen chairs for at least 2 days after it's washed before it makes it into the closet.

Vacuum...hear a strange noise and turn around to see the ex-husband standing there. This of course scares the shit out of me for the millionth time that he's done it. And tell me what damn good it is to have FOUR dogs anyway if not a single one of them is going to at least bark when someone comes in the house?!!

Throw husband in car and go get monkey which makes K the proudest smiliest kid ever that BOTH of us came to pick him up today.

End the night with taking K on a bike ride, roller skating and 2 dogs back to the field for open practice and realize after putting K to bed that I am DAMN exhausted and did more today than on most work days.

Look at all the stuff one can accomplish when work doesn't get in the way!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously that is awesome! Now you make me feel like doing all of this shit too - the organizing part! I actually took a shower and bath last night when Jake was down and the hubs was gone and it was SOOOO nice not to have to do it in hurry!

    ReplyDelete